Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Strained Relationships

Because of her mother's death, Billie Jo's relationship with her father becomes strained. At first, her father does blame her for her mother's death. He never comes right and says it but his body language says it all. Billie Jo has become even more lost. She had always looked to her mother for guidance in life, especially when it came to her father. But since the death, she doesn't know how to talk or be around him.

"I don't know my father anymore...he looks like my father...but he is a stranger. I am akward with him, and irritated, and I want to be alone but I am terrified of being alone. We are both changing, we are shifting to fill in the empty spaces left by Ma." Autumn 1934 Page 76

These lines show that her and her father are similar with their mannerisms but they don't have much else in common. There was always her mother there to help keep things running smoothly. Neither Billie Jo nor her father know how to behave or act since her mother's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment