Thursday, October 28, 2010

Leaving For Real

"This is not a dream. There's no comfort in dreams...It's the middle of the night and I hear every sound inside me, outside me. I go, knowing that I'll die if I stay, that I'm slowly surely smothering. I walk through the calm night, under the stars...Once I might have headed east, Now I slip under the cover of darkness inside a boxcar and let the train carry me west. Out of the dust." Summer 1935 Pages 197-198

Billie Jo leaves for real this time. Even though she's been wanting to leave, she doesn't realize how selfish she's being. Not once does she think of her father. She only thinks of how silent and stubborn he is. She doesn't think of how her leaving could hurt her father. By not thinking of her father and how this would effect him, she only thinks of herself and getting away from the dust. By getting away from the dust, Billie Jo is also leaving her father behind as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment