Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Playing Again

Arely wants Billie Jo to play in a show that he's in. Billie Jo doesn't want to even though she did so well at the competition.

 "...I don't say it hurts like a parched earth with each note. I don't say, one chord and my hands scream with pain for days. I don't show him the swelling or the tears..." Winter 1935 Pages 134-135

Billie Jo's scars are much more than just then the physical pain. There is a lot of guilt for Billie Jo every time she plays or looks at her hands. She still associates her hands with the death of her mother and brother.

However, Billie Jo does change her mind and ends up playing in the show.

"I did play like a cripple at Arley's show, not that Arely would ever say it. But my hands are no good anymore, my playing's no good...." Winter 1935 Page 1936

No comments:

Post a Comment