Monday, October 25, 2010

Billie Jo's Dreams

"...I sit at the school piano and make my hands work. In spite of the pain, in spite of the stiffness and scars. I make my hands play the piano. I have practiced my best piece over and over til my arms throb...I figure if I practice enough I won't shame myself." Winter 1935 page 127

Billie Jo desperately wants to be able to play the piano again. She wants to be able to prove to people that she can play and that she isn't some cripple.

In this section of the book, there is a competition where people can perform an act. The lines above show that Billie Jo wants to be able to play in the competition and prove to people that she isn't a cripple. Even though she wants to be able to play like she used to, she still doubts whether people will see her in the same light as before. Billie Jo believes that people will always view her as Billie Jo the cripple, not just simply Billie Jo. By people not truly accepting her with her hands, Billie Jo has a hard time accepting herself with her hands

"...but if I played right enough, maybe they would see past my hands . Maybe they could feel at ease with me again, and maybe then, I could feel at ease with myself." Winter 1935 Page 1935

No comments:

Post a Comment